Thursday, March 22, 2018

Carla Kogelman -World Press Photo Contest 2018

Carla Kogelman is an Amsterdam-based photographer. She enjoys focusing on children in their environments and how the interact with one another and communicate with their bodies. Carla also has a theatre background.



In this series Carla has photographed two girls growing up from the years 2012-2017. I love this idea for a long-term project. Growing up is something we can all relate to. We may not have had such magical-looking summers, however we do all have childhood memories.


I believe Carla's theatre experience is evident in her work. I viewed her photo story before reading about it, and the story was very evident to me in the images she chose to include. I can see that it is clearly summer, and these girls are clearly related, and clearly growing up. 


Carla creates beautiful prints with amazing tonal range. She gets the skin tone of the people perfect. Her use of subject and composition and light creates such emotion-filled images that I can almost feel summer. These images make me want summer! I hope to one day take photos of my children like this.







No comments:

Post a Comment