Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Firebaugh



            My family and I moved to Firebaugh when I was twelve. My father was attending Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary located in the bay area to further his education in theology, when he got a job preaching in Firebaugh. For one school year, my family commuted every weekend to the central valley. Although I was only twelve I was able to recognize the beauty of the central valley, especially when it was compared week after week to the bay area I left behind. I saw where all my fruits and vegetables were being grown. I saw the aquafers that held the water that fed the plants I ate. I was able to see the cotton growing that made the clothes I wear. I recognized that the people in the bay area never see this. They are not aware of who is supporting their lifestyles, and I am living amongst those people now. I am now deeply attached to a community of people whose lives are dependent on the earth itself, and the help of others around them.
            I was born in Fresno, and I’ve lived in northern California as well as the bay area, about 15 minutes from San Francisco. I know I was young when I lived in these areas, however being homeschooled I believe I was well educated on the areas I was living. I believe I have a different perspective on this town than anyone else. I am someone who was not born here, so I see things others do not and I know what is unique and not found in other places. Yet, I have also lived in Firebaugh long enough to feel as though I am a part of the community and long enough to know context about a lot of things.
            I believe there is a story in this town that needs to be told and I believe I am a qualified author. I would like to tell stories about history in buildings and the San Joaquin River, about fear of change, about the Mexican culture, about agriculture, and about the people that make this town what it is.
            I would like to make prints, and to create a book with captions under the photos, giving some insight on the town. My goal is to tell a story, and show the beauty and pain that comes with a small suburb in the central valley. I hope my town will be proud to see this book, and I hope others who live in small towns can relate to it as well.



Maldonado Park was built during the time I lived here. Before, there was only one other park on one side of town. This park is located near government housing ("g-camp"), and a well housed apartment complex. Every Saturday and Sunday you will see young men playing basketball, kids of all ages using the skatepark, families having birthday parties, and little ones using the playground. There is a water park that used to be packed with kids in the summer, however due to the drought, it is only turned on a few days out of the year now. 



Edgar's family work for N.F. Davis. Davis is a well-known and highly respected businessman and farmer in our community. Edgar has twin siblings who recently had their Quinceanera, and Davis offered to help them with some finances for the celebration. 



There are many Churches in Firebaugh. Full-Gospel is one that stands out in our community because they have a rehab program for men, many who are recently out of prison. I work at Subway and these men often come in as it is within walking distance of the Church. They are some of my favorite customers. They are very polite and well mannered. One man says "God bless" as his goodbye. 


No comments:

Post a Comment